ECOLOGY SERVICES LTD
ECOLOGY SERVICES LTD
Ecology Services Ltd. was established in 2002 by the Managing Director Lyn Eccles-Sargeant. We are a growing company built on solid foundations with a highly experienced team of ecologists. Our vision is to provide a high quality service partnering our Clients, which is practical, environmentally sustainable and professional.
Ecology Services Ltd. specialise in ecological surveys for a wide range of clients to support planning applications from small schemes up to large scale projects that require full Ecological Impact Assessments (EIA’s). Clients range from local planning authorities, county councils, the Environment Agency and construction companies to large Plc. companies.
We pride ourselves in delivering pragmatic guidance, utilising the latest policies, legislation and ecological knowledge. We support clients, large or small in both the commercial and residential sectors.
Generally, our services are driven by current legislation and planning policy. Recent commissions have included ecological assessments for:
- Several housing developments (bats/great crested newts/barn owls…)
- Designing and implementing restoration works at landfill sites and a quarry
- Ecological Impact Assessments (EIA’s) for larger developments, including road schemes, industrial estates and pipeline projects
- Protected species surveys and mitigation works
- Habitat surveys/enhancement/creation and mitigation
- Marina developments including, protected species/habitat surveys, mitigation proposals and boat traffic assessments
- Ecological surveys to provide information for the creation of public spaces as well as management plans for areas of conservation interest.
Services can be as simple as providing advice to a concerned party, to undertaking full Ecological Impact Assessments for Ecological Statements.
To be an Environmental Consultancy that provides a high quality service to our clients; one that is practical, efficient, environmentally sustainable and professional.
Ecology Services Ltd. is a multi-disciplinary practice with a broad base of skills. We provide a complete range of services associated with protected species and habitat management, including surveys and mitigation projects where required, botanical surveys, Phase 1 & 2 habitat surveys and National Vegetation Classification (NVC), Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA’s), woodland/grassland habitat management, creation, restoration and the implementation of aftercare.
Ecology Services Ltd. surveys, designs and implements its projects. Ecology Services Ltd. staff are qualified, multi-disciplinary environmental professionals, with a wide experience of town planning, landscape management, ecology and environmental legislation. Therefore, we are able to provide our clients with a comprehensive approach to environmental services.
Ecology Services Ltd. has particular expertise in herpetology and has strong links with the British Herpetological Society. All survey and mitigation work strictly follows the best practice Great crested newt mitigation guidelines set out by Natural England. Staff hold Great crested newt survey licences issued by Natural England for all the counties in England. We also hold Great crested newt mitigation licences issued by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
We have experience of projects involving habitat management and environmental impact assessments (EIA’s) which required vegetation, amphibian, water vole, bat, barn owl, reptile, crayfish and badger surveys.
Previous work has included species protection and habitat creation, enhancement, and restoration, in accordance with planning conditions. We are also experienced in the planning, design, implementation and management of urban parks, country parks and woodlands as well as wetland management projects including marshes, reed-beds, open lakes, rivers, ponds, heath-land, short grassland, lowland meadows and ancient forests, estuarine/wetland bird surveys.
Our largest project to date is the extended phase 1 habitat survey undertaken for United Utilities Plc in relation to the two pipelines; the Hodder and Lcus Aqueduct.
Commissions recently undertaken by Ecology Services Ltd. include: BAE Systems, Wigan Council, Edmund Nuttall Ltd, Tetrosyl, George Wimpey Manchester, Fairclough Homes Ltd and sub-contractual surveys for Penny Anderson Associates Ltd. See case studies for brief details of recent contracts.
If specialist surveyors are required, accredited agents will be employed where possible e.g. hydrologists, geologists and species specialists. Ecology Services Ltd. employ sub-contractors of the highest standard and reputation.
Public / Employee Liability & Indemnity Insurance
Ecology Services Limited’s vision is to provide a high quality, professional service, and we consider public and employee liability and indemnity insurance to be an important part of this service.
Public liability £1,000,000
Employee liability £10,000,000
Indemnity Insurance for £2,000,000
Indemnity Insurance can be increased depending on the project size.
The Company Director is a full member of the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (IEEM). Members of the IEEM are bound to adhere to the Code of Professional Conduct. Information on the Code of Professional Conduct can be obtained from;
Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
43, Southgate Street
Company Number 4743264 (Registered in England)
5, Ribblesdale Place
Preston PR1 8BZ
Health & Safety
Ecology Services Ltd recognises its responsibility to ensure, so far as reasonably practical, the health, safety and welfare of its employees. We promote a safe and healthy working environment promoting a health and safety culture, by providing training, identifying and controlling our health and safety risks, reducing the potential for accidents, checking legislative compliance and improving overall performance.
We are accredited within the Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS) having demonstrated compliance with and sound management of current health and safety legislation.
Ecology Services Ltd is a consultancy practice which specialises in providing advice to clients to minimise potentially harmful effects on wildlife; and to seek opportunities to provide benefits to wildlife. Much of the work carried our by the company has a direct impacts upon improving the environment.
We recognise that company activities have environmental consequences. The company is committed to seeking out and implementing measures to reduce our environmental impact, which are subject to monitoring as part of our Environmental Management Systems. We undertake voluntary carbon calculations and since 2016 we have off set our carbon dioxide emissions, through supporting various projects. In 2017 we supported Americas region of the world, through clean energy generation, improving efficiency; and reducing deforestation.
Ecology Services Ltd provides a service that is consistent, prompt and of high quality. We hold Quality Management Systems ISO 9001:2015, we continually learn, raising out quality assurance within the business.
We are also registered on Achillies (the Utility Vendor Database), which audits health and safety, quality and environment. During our 2018 Achilles Audit we received 100% for Quality.
- BAE Systems – Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for a road and industrial estate development, including amphibian surveys and mitigation, NVC vegetation surveys, mammal, bird and bat surveys. Habitat enhancement and restoration works including bat hibernation roost creation.
- United Utilities Plc – Ecological assessments including amphibian surveys and mitigation, extended phase 1 habitat surveys and desktop studies.
- Bent Hall Landfill Site – Extended phase 1 habitat survey, full pond survey (including aquatic invertebrate survey) and a restoration management plan.
- Cass Associates – Great crested newt and vegetation surveys.
- Edmund Nuttall Limited – Great crested newt survey.
- Environment Agency – River Corridor Surveys
- Wharfdale Home Care – Great crested newt survey, mitigation work and habitat assessment.
- Lancashire County Council – Ecological surveys including bat, breeding bird, amphibian, badger, water vole and vegetation surveys. Mitigation works for bats and great crested newts.
- Chelford Homes – Great crested newt mitigation and population monitoring, invasive species surveys and site assessments.
- Cumbrian Industrial Limited – Breeding bird and water vole survey works.
- Fairclough Homes Limited – Environmental Impact Assessments including hydrological, invertebrate, mammal, vegetation and great crested newt surveys and mitigation schemes.
- Galloway’s Society for the Blind – Pond restoration and great crested newt surveys.
- George Wimpey (Manchester/North West & Cheshire) Plc – Environmental Impact Assessments including vegetation, amphibian, mammal and bat surveys and mitigation method statements.
- Glenkemp – Amphibian surveys.
- Hillside Golf Course – Vegetation surveys of dune slack habitat.
- Jones & Company – Bat and barn owl investigations.
- KKA Limited – Ecological assessments.
- LRM & Thames Water – Great crested newt surveys.
- Penny Anderson Associates – Great crested newt surveys.
- Persimmon Homes (Northern) – Ecological assessments, breeding bird surveys, otter survey & amphibian mitigation works.
- Smithsgore (Duchy of Lancaster) – Water vole survey and recommendations.
- Tetrosyl Limited – Environmental Impact Assessments including vegetation, bat, water vole, fish, amphibian surveys and subsequent bat mitigation works.
- The Environment Partnership – Several great crested newt surveys and mitigation, water vole survey/mitigation schemes, kingfisher surveys and extended phase 1 habitat surveys of upland areas.
- Hart Common Golf Course – Amphibian surveys.
- Heartbeat – Amphibian mitigation works.
- Wigan Borough Council – Great crested newt surveys, including extended phase 1 habitat surveys and a mitigation licence application.
- Tarmac Northern Limited – Supervising the removal and storage of upland turf within a Sac.
- Helical Technology – Environmental Impact Assessment of salt marsh habitat.
- Hay Carr Estates Limited – Protected species surveys and mitigation licence application.
- Frank Whittaker Town & Country Planning – Extended phase 1 habitat survey, bat and barn owl investigations.
- Small Developers – Habitat assessments, amphibian and bat surveys/investigations.
- Pencon Conservation Group – Monitoring a translocated population of great crested newts.
- University of Central Lancashire – Lectures on Ecology and amphibian mitigation works.
1. Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
2. How do we process personal data?
Ecology Services complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your name and email address for the following purposes: –
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services directly as a periodic newsletter.
3. What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
- Explicit consent of the data subject so that we can keep you informed about news, events, activities and services.
4. Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated in strict confidence and we do not share your information with anyone.
5. How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your data for as long as you wish us to. Every time you receive a newsletter, you can simply unsubscribe from it.
6. Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data: –
- The right to request a copy of your personal data.
- The right to request that we correct any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date.
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary.
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time.
- The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability), (where applicable).
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable) [Only applies where processing is based on legitimate interests (or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority); direct marketing and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics]
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office.
7. Further processing
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
8. Contact Details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries of complaints please in the first instance contact the Data Controller at ku.oc.secivresygoloce@ofni or write to The Data Controller, Ecology Services, Church Row Chambers, Longton, Preston, Lancashire PR4 5PN
You can contact the Information Commissioners Office via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or write to the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF.